Skip to main content

Character Post: Suzanne Parker

Hi, Random Girl!
This post contains spoilers for The Fifth.

This picture of this random girl who I have not been able to identify despite my best efforts, is as close to Suzanne as I have been able to find on the internet.  This girl is not quite as alternative in style as Suzanne is, but Suzanne is not as goth or alternative as the pictures that turn up when I google those key words, so this girl will have to do.  Imagine her wearing more black and more eyeliner and you'd have her about right.

Contrary to the beliefs of some of my friends, Suzanne is not me.* She and I are similar in many ways, but Suzanne comes from a very different background and operates with a level of self-assurance I never would have had as a girl her age, because she comes from privilege and, as a result, has the belief that she should get what she wants when she wants it.  Sometimes, that makes Suzanne kind of a bitch in the bad way. In fact, one of the reviews from a stranger of The Fifth indicated that, although they liked the book, they didn't like Suzanne very much.   That's cool: I don't really believe in "likability" for a character anyways, especially not female characters.

I also think that Suzanne can be a bitch in a good way, as well.  She stands up for what she believes in, and she is not afraid of a fight.  That means sometimes she lashes out when she shouldn't, but Suzanne is not a girl who is going to be pushed around.

Her weakness, though, or one of them, is that she is attracted to people who seem mysterious to her, because she thinks they know something she doesn't know.  She dismisses Gabriel as obvious, and likes Anastase and Morgan because they are mysterious.  She really overvalues that as a good quality and part of her arc in The Fifth is her realizing that everyone--even Gabriel, even her parents, even herself--is more than they seem.

Suzanne is a Fifth, which means she got a little bit of every power (although not much at the moment) and can amplify the power of others.  She doesn't have a defined strength or weakness, an ambiguity in her powers that we'll see more of in the sequels.  But The Fifth isn't really about Suzanne learning to use her magical powers, it's more about her learning to live in her relationships with other people, and how those relationships make her stronger than she would be on her own. 

~~~
*Although, true story, I picked her name because it is similar in spelling to my own.  That is purely practical, though -- it makes it really easy to type. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...