1. You may know Julia Stiles from the fact that she's a pretty famous actress whose been in a bunch of stuff (like Save the Last Dance, for example). What you may not know is that she has a blog, and it's pretty interesting. She doesn't post very often, but her stuff is usually worth reading and she seems really cool.* You can check her blog out here: You Know My Steez.
2. I tried last year to start a one sentence journal, where you write a single sentence a day, but it just doesn't work for me. I keep forgetting to write in it for, like, weeks at a time. I'm much better at writing my three paragraphs a day (as recommended by Bryan Garner). For some reason a bigger committment works better for me. But Leah Dieterich's blog--where she posts a thank you note a day, sometimes to things that you wouldn't normally think of as being grateful for -- is awesome.
Some recent favorites of mine include:
Dear Neon Yellow Highlighter
See you when I see you! Hee!
3. Even cut for television, Aliens is still a really scary movie.
4. I am re-reading In the Woods again, and even though I know how it ends, I'm still tense reading it. That's a good book, y'all.
5. My dog is recovering from her encounter with the German Shepherd. She may be able to go cone-free this week, which would relieve a great deal of guilt on my part. You don't know guilt until you see the sad face of your Greyhound in her cone right before you shut the door to go to work.
6. Donna Gambale posted over at the First Novels Club about the coolest punctuation ever, the interrobang. Take a look:
That? Is some awesome punctuation right there.
* By cool I mean that she seems like someone I would want to hang out with -- she references David Foster Wallace, y'all! -- so...your definition of "cool" may vary.