Skip to main content

Monday Miscellany

1. I've been watching The Real World D.C. this season and I have to say that the women on the show thus far have been pretty cool. Sure, they have their issues, but they also seem to be bright and fun and they seem to stick up for each other and other women in a way that you sometimes don't see on reality shows.*

2. On the other hand, The Deep End, which is about first year lawyers, is not a good show. It's too melodramatic and silly, and the first years are allowed to do stuff that no first year would be allowed to do without any guidance or help. There are so many shows about lawyers, it's hard to understand why there are so few any good ones.**

3. I just got these shoes:


Nice, right? Linea Paolo at Nordstrom. As an inveterate wearer of high heels, I can tell you that all of their shoes are superbly balanced and make it feel like you're not wearing a 4 inch heel. I also like the Gianni Bini line at Dillards, which has the same balanced quality.

4. Human Target? Still an entertaining show. I recommend it for people who used to like 24 but just can't get into the premise anymore.

5. The Grammys can be great or they can be mediocre, depending on the live performances. Last night was mediocre. When Green Day and a cast of dozens sound thin and weak you know it's not going to be a good night.***

6. I'm going to have Write You @ss Off Weekend next weekend, and I'm super excited about it.

~~~

* An example: one of the guys in the house says "men are independent and all women are dependent" and when the women object, he's like "just admit that's how you are!" So they all get up and walk out of the room, annoyed by his crap, even the girl who's having sex with him every night.

** Good shows about lawyers: Law and Order, especially the mothership, which gets the "you win some you lose some" aspect right and is also--bonus--usually right about the actual law. The Practice was also a good show about the law, most of the time (when it went too far into the serial killer stuff it derailed a bit), and the stuff with the mob was also really good television. Shark started pretty well, but I lost track of it in the schedule shuffling.

*** The exception to this rule, of course, was Pink, who sang her number in a body suit. Wet. While spinning from a trapeze. And did it live. I really regret missing her last tour.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This begs the question: did the girl who's been sleeping with that d-bag sleep with him that night? If so, he might have a point, at least with regard to that particular woman, ha ha.
Anonymous said…
OH my god, love the shoes. Ahhm, I thought you were male. oops sorry. I don't know what made me think that.
Jay Montville said…
@WannabeVirginia -- I AM male. (kidding!) It's the name--Jay--probably. It happens all the time.

@Anonymous -- Actually she stopped sleeping with him shortly after the incident because he was getting too serious and emotional and she just wanted to keep it light.
Anonymous said…
Well, that's pretty classy for an MTV reality show girl! Keeping it light, indeed. Whew, when I think of what would have happened if Mrs. Anonymous decided to keep it light . . . .

Mrs. Anonymous hasn't seen the shoes yet but I'm sure she would be impressed with your choice of footwear.

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...