Skip to main content

Workin' On It Wednesday #40 -- On Music

All of my books or stories have always had soundtracks. Always. Even when I was a kid, writing fan fiction about my favorite band (although we didn't have the Internet back then, so I didn't know that's what I was doing*), my stories were all associated with specific songs or albums. And when I write my own stuff (that is, not fan fiction), I make my own soundtracks.**

But the funny thing is, I can't listen to music when I write. It distracts me. Even classical music. I'm not one of those people who has to have absolute quiet when I write--noise in general doesn't bother me. I can write in a Starbucks***, in a classroom, in the middle of an airport with those stupid baggage announcements every five seconds, but I cannot have music on for myself.

Perhaps it's because I really enjoy my music and listen to it closely.**** So when it's on, especially if a favorite song of mine comes on the iPod, I have to pause and listen. Or when a song doesn't line up with the mood of the scene I'm writing, then I have to turn my attention back to the music to change it and my concentration is lost. It's better for me to just avoid music altogether, at least music that I put on myself.

But I recently read a post over at the D&G blog about using music to revise, and I was surprised to realize that I already do this. I can't listen to the music while I write, even in revision, but I often put on the book's soundtrack when I'm getting ready to write. It helps me remember the world I'm writing in, and that's what revision is all about, isn't it?

~~~

*And when I say "we" I don't me "we" like, my family was too poor to have Internet or something, I mean "we" as in the People of the World. Yes, it's true: when I was a child, the Internet DID NOT EXIST. Imagine that! I hardly can, frankly.

** True story: my soundtracks are all about the story, not about music I like. For example, in one of the stories I'm working on right now, one of the characters is the type of person who listens to Linkin Park (and other similar music). I, personally, am not a huge fan of Linkin Park. But that doesn't matter, because when I'm listening to Linkin Park, I'm not doing it for me, I'm doing it to understand him.

*** Yes, even one where they play music--how crazy is that?

**** I'm not a music snob, though. As my music posts make pretty clear, I listen closely to music that ranges from sophisticated to...NSYNC. I'm an equal opportunity music listener.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...