Skip to main content

Five Signs A Book Was Written By Jay

Over at Fangs, Fur & Fey, they've got a great topic of the week: Five Signs a Book Was Written By You.* Here are mine:

1. One of the boys has a girl name. :) Or, if not, know that one of the boys did have a girl name until my readers told me to "just change it already, Jay. Jesus!"

2. The main character will be the oldest child or an only child. I may branch out at some point, but this is true of all of the stories I'm working on right now.

3. At least one of the male love interests will be tall. Tall is good. :)

4. No one will save the world. Something may get saved at some point, like a house, or a cat, or mybe even a whole town, but the world? No. No way.

5. The mother will be scary. Scary mean, scary smart, scary talented, scary hot...or just plain scary.

~~~

* If you read that blog, you might have already seen this entry, since I cross-posted over there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hmmmm, have never really given this much thought but it might go something like this:

1. There will be at least one or two words you don't know. Annoying words, like "interregnum."

2. There will be passages that drive you bonkers. "Am I supposed to read this? Really?" I like to challenge my readers. Perhaps too much, hee hee.

3. There will be a sex scene. It might be funny, it might not. Sex is very, very hard to write about and few writers ever pull it off without sounding like complete idiots. It's a challenge to the writer.

4. There will be a Dogue de Bordeaux in the book. If you own one, you know why. If you don't, you'll never get it. They are not normal dogs.

5. The ending will either make you cry or, if you're made of stone, get a little choked up. I don't know why, but I have a knack for this sort of thing. Think about it: you think it would be easy to make somebody cry but it's actually harder than it looks. Making somebody feel sad is pretty easy but getting actual tears to flow is hard.

I have one to add to your list, Jay:
--you will laugh at something one of the characters says
Yes, this is true! You have a good feel for humorous retorts and I chuckled more than once while reading a draft of the book.

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...