Skip to main content

Jay Hears A Song #8 -- The Perfect Pop Song

Recently, I've been listening to a lot of music that is really great, but that isn't so mind-blowingly great as to deserve a post of it's own on the blog. So here's a list of Five Perfect Pop Songs According to Jay. They may not change your life, but they will make a sunny Saturday afternoon even better:

1. "The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson. It's not "Thriller" or "Billie Jean" but this little gem of a song is just pure delight.




Sample Lyrics:

hey pretty baby with the high heels on
you give me fever like I've never ever known
you're just a product of loveliness
I like the groove of your walk, your talk, your dress


2. "The Two of Us" by 'Nsync. It sounds like an afternoon at the carnival and it feels like bubbles in your nose. Say what you want about 'Nsync, but this song demonstrates why they were the biggest pop act in the world in the 90s.



Sample Lyrics:

'Cause in a room full of people
you're the only one around,
and nothing in this world could ever bring us down.
Baby, I'll be there,
telling you I care,
this I swear.
Girl, it's just the two of us, the two of us.


3. "Always Saturday" by Guadalcanal Diary. A song that sounds like the perfect summer day. Sorry there's no YouTube for this one, but here's a link to the song itself.

Sample lyrics:

showers of whispers glowing blue
late night movie fills the room
streetlights twinkling like dew
I close my eyes, it ends too soon


4. "Down Together" by The Refreshments. They were known mostly for their name-check of Jean Luc Picard in their one hit single "Banditos," but this song is much better. Catchy, romantic, and clever, this song is the epitome of The Refreshments.



Sample Lyrics:

We could both wear cowboy hats and pretend that we could speak Italian.
I could eat some gum and make my breath so minty fresh to kiss you.
Your breath will smell like wine, I like that a lot, especially when I kiss you.
And I could hit my funny bone real hard, and you could call me a sweetheart.



5. "Hey, Girl" by O.A.R. This is, literally, the only song I like by this band, who I've seen in concert several times (they're from Ohio). And I can't stand them, except for this song, which is, you have to admit, a hell of a song.



Sample Lyrics:

In my mind
I miss you every night that you're not here
oh, I just want to sit around your life and breathe your air.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...