1. 13.1 miles is a long ways to walk. I cannot believe that some people ran twice that distance in the same amount of time. I cannot believe that they did so without, like, someone driving behind them pointing a gun the whole way, because that's the only way I'm ever doing a whole marathon, and even then it depends on how devoted to life I am at, like, mile 18.

2. There are a lot of little cool spots in Cleveland that I had no idea existed. (I'm looking at you, Garton Square Arts District). And there are a lot of boring parts of Cleveland that really shouldn't be a part of a marathon (hello, 2+ miles on the inbound east shoreway).

3. Dear Band Director at the St. Ignatius High School: If it was your idea to have the marching band out in front of the school to play for the marathon participants, you are awesome. Because nothing makes a walker feel more wanted than a bunch of high school kids playing "Louis Louis" at 8:30 in the morning.**

4. Potato chips eaten after three and half hours of walking = Best Potato Chips EVER.

5. What? Writing? Oh, I didn't do much of that this weekend. But since I won't be able to walk for the rest of the week probably, I'm sure I'll make up for it. :)

~~~

* By which I mean walked a half marathon. 13.1 miles is still a long ways, people.

** I'm totally not even kidding about that. In fact, there were a lot of people and groups that came out to support the marathon, and it was really touching.

2 comments:

Congratulations! That is really something and you should be proud. It IS a long way to walk. It doesn't sound like a lot until you actually do it. I've hiked 16 miles in one day up some pretty grueling stuff and 13.1 miles is definitely an achievement. Way to go!

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 10:15:00 AM EDT  

I have to leave another comment because the word verification is finally something. A proper noun, to be sure, but something nonetheless.

I give you: putin

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 10:16:00 AM EDT  

Newer Post Older Post Home