Skip to main content

Workin' On It Wednesday #13 -- Choosing An Agent

I don't have a lot of advice to give about finding an agent, since all I did was follow the advice of countless other blogs and articles out there: I researched some agents, I wrote a query letter, and found an agent.* That makes it sound easy, and it's not. But (in my opinion) finding an agent is like doing pushups--it's not complicated, it's just hard.

But I was interested to see this post by Maya Reynolds on choosing the right agent, because I think she's dead on here. I queried a lot of agents during my search. A LOT. Many. And from their responses (both positive and negative) I learned that there are some agents out there who it is better if I don't work with. Not because they are bad agents, or are unprofessional,** but because our working styles would not mesh well.***

Let me explain: right from the beginning, before I even accepted an offer of representation (hell, before he even made an offer), Agent Ted explained that he was a hands-on agent. He had suggestions for The Book. He had ideas about the market. He wanted to hear my reactions to his suggestions and ideas. This does not bother me. In fact, this is part of the reason why I accepted his offer--because I felt that his honesty about his thoughts about The Book, and the value of his suggestions, and his manner of expressing those suggestions indicated that he and I would work well together. So far, that's been the case.****, *****

But I know that there are writers out there for whom Agent Ted's methods would be problematic. Just like I know from my interactions with certain agents that their methods would not work for me. That's what Maya's post is about--choosing someone who you feel like you can work with for the long term. Once you get out of the realm of scam artists and into the realm of legitimate agents, it's really all about fit. Do you and your work fit with this particular agent and agency? And that's a personal decision. To throw another analogy out there: finding an agent is like finding a good pair of jeans: a style or brand that works for me may not work for you. Gap jeans make my butt look awesome, but you may need Diesels, or Luckys, or Apple Bottoms, so you need to shop around a little before you buy. A good pair of jeans is priceless.

~~~

* Check the links on the side of this blog for agents and editors who blog. Those blogs are good place to get an idea what agents expect, and to get a feel for their individual personalities.

**Almost without exception, every agent I've had contact with has been very professional.

***I know this sounds like a contradiction from my earlier post where I said that I wouldn't expect an editor to like me or me to like her in order to work together, but it's not. I don't have to like my agent (although I do!), I have to be able to work well with him. Those things aren't the same.

****World Domination starts in 2009!

*****Agent Ted rules, by the way, and you should totally query him or his agency if you write their kind of stuff.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gap jeans, eh? Well, unless you're willing to post pictures, I guess we'll just have to take your word for it . . .

This comment's word verification? cacklsi
So close, seems like it should be a word.

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...