Skip to main content

Jay Has A Legal Opinion

Dear Political Campaigns --

Since most of you are lawyers, or have lawyers (or SHOULD have lawyers), I didn't think this was going to be necessary, but apparently I was wrong, so let me just say this:

You are not permitted to use other people's songs and music without their permission unless they are way dead. Like a hundred years dead. Beethoven dead.

Yes, this means even if you really like the song, or even if it's totally your nickname (I'm looking at you Sarah "Barracuda" Palin). Because, you see, if they are still alive*, the people who wrote the songs and the people who sing the songs are supposed to get paid when you play them.

Also, in case you didn't realize this, musicians and song writers are artists, and a lot of the time artists get a little...pissy when you try to use their stuff to promote things they don't necessarily like. Like, for example:

1. trickle down economics (see, e.g., Bruce Springsteen's objections to Ronald Reagan's use of "Born in the USA),

2. or energy reform that involves drilling in the Alaskan wilderness (see, e.g., Jackson Browne's objection to John McCain's commercial featuring "Running on Empty"),

3. or economic policy that provides tax breaks only for the top 3% of taxpayers (see, e.g., John McCain again, for his illicit use of John Cougar/John Cougar Mellencamp/John Mellencamp's "Pink Houses"),

4. or yourself (see, e.g., Heart's recent objections to Sarah Palin's use of "Barracuda").

I know! They're so demanding, what with their "artistic integrity" and "ownership of intellectual property" and "rights of publicity", but since y'all are supposed to be setting an example, perhaps you could start by, you know, asking permission for use of the songs, instead of just ripping them off.

Thanks!
Jay

P.S. Funny how all of these examples are of Republicans, right? It's not because I don't like Republicans (although I don't. I mean politically. Personally, I have no problems with Republicans. Some of my best friends are Republicans. Wait...no, they aren't. But some of my friends are! Good ones! Very friendly acquaintances!**), but because I couldn't find any examples involving Democrats. Not because Democrats do a better job of clearing their music rights (although they may), but because, I suspect, most musicians are liberals. (Except Neil Young, of course, and some country artists.) So when Bill Clinton wants to use Fleetwood Mac, or example, Fleetwood Mac either says "sure, cool" right up front, or else they don't get their undies in a twist when Bill does it without permission.

P.P.S. Ironic Moment Alert: As I was driving this morning thinking about this post, what should come on NPR but a clip about John McCain's rally in Wisconsin yesterday, where they were playing the song "Who Says You Can't Go Home" by Bon Jovi. Yes, that would be the same Bon Jovi who is having a fund raising dinner in his house for Barack Obama.

*or within the applicable term of the copyright statutes, but I couldn't figure out a fun way to say that. sigh. Lawyers, man.

**in all seriousness, I do have really good friends that are Republicans. I don't pick my friends by political affiliation.

Comments

Katie Alender said…
It seems like a calculated risk. They probably figured the extent of the fine they'd have to pay and went ahead and played the song. In that case, much easier to apologize afterward than get permission beforehand.

On the other hand, if they broadcast it, the fines can be hella expensive so that seems... what's the word... the word that means... prohibitive.

(That's a glimpse directly at the inner workings of my brain, right there.)
Anonymous said…
I forget which comedian said that if this trend keeps up (liberal music artists denying anybody the rights to use their songs), pretty soon politicians will be limited to public domain songs, like "Jimmy Crack Corn."

I'm always amused that the campaigns think that somebody would be remotely interested in their ideas if they only played the right song. Then again, people ARE pretty stupid. "Hey, they're playing that song I like, maybe I should vote for these folks!"

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Jay Is Not On Vacation

Despite my absence from this blog, I am not dead and/or on a beach somewhere. I wish I were (on a beach, not dead), but I am not. I would sing a song about how busy I am with work (true), and how busy I am with teaching (also true), and how busy I am with working on the new projects (true dat), and how busy I am with life in general (double true), but the real reason why I haven't been posting here is because I've been querying. For some reason, querying has made me especially leery of posting here. I've seen posts from agent blogs that talk about how they don't want to know that the author they're considering representing has been rejected by everyone else in the world. Likewise, I don't think it's good form for me to post about the responses I've received when the agents haven't given me permission to do so, although some writers do it. I know I wouldn't want to see my query letter posted on someone's blog and commented on, although som...

Careful What You Wish For

I'm a lawyer at a company that employs a LOT of creative people, so it was no surprise to me that one of our employees writes novels. He writes "adult" novels (by which I means, books for adults, not dirty books), and he's got an agent and had a couple published, and gotten some good reviews, and rumor has it that they made a movie of one of his books a while back, although I can neither confirm or deny that rumor. And, according to friends of friends, he's unhappy. He doesn't like the way his writing career is going. He was hoping for more. I don't know what more, because that's not something that you can really ask someone, like--"hey, so describe the ways in which you're unhappy with your writing career"--but I imagine it's the typical writer stuff: fame, fortune, the respect of people of letters. But it's funny, because, um...he HAS the things I dream about. An agent. More than one book published. Books you can buy in, ...