Skip to main content

Most. Favorite. Person. EVER.

I've been a regular reader of Lynn Viehl's blog for almost a year now. She's an (incredibly) prolific Sci Fi/Fantasy writer with a zillion novels out (you know, approximately). She's also a really generous author--she spends a lot of time talking about her process, and the publishing business, and most recently ran the Left Behind and Loving It blog workshops for people who didn't go to the RWA con. Seriously, her blog is an invaluable resource for writers looking for a pragmatic, yet encouraging, voice about publishing.

She also gives away a TON of stuff. She's always offering prizes for things, which is awesome. Recently, I won a "goodie bag" for commenting on a post (that's all I had to do--comment), and it just arrived in the mail.

"Goodie Bag."

That's an interesting phrase, right? Suggests something cute and delicious, but not too filling. Like, I knew there would be a couple of books in it, and I thought, like, a coffee mug and a bookmark or something. I mean, I didn't win the Grand Prize of a bunch of her books--I got the "runner up" goodie bag.

Um...no.

I got a box full of FIFTEEN books (including three of hers), and a canvas book tote, and a perpetual bookmark (it's a gadgety thing), AND a little canvas zip with Post-it flags and pens (I heart pens) AND two notepads. Really. For commenting. It's almost too much. It's just...wow.

Honestly, though, not only am I super psyched about the books, I'm taking a lesson on how to run a contest. If I ever do one around here, Lynn Viehl has set the bar people. YOU get a car! And YOU get a car! And YOU get a car...

Comments

Katie Alender said…
New books? Or "cleaning off the bookshelves" books?

My contests will probably involve coasters. I am a lean, mean coaster-making machine.

But no cars!
Jay Montville said…
New books! Ones that just came out, that I've heard of!

My contests will totally involve books. Namely, tell me what book you want and I'll send it to you, because I don't make things, I just make things up.

J.

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...