Skip to main content

I've been tagged!

by Katie Alender, whose blog is so seriously entertaining that I sent a query letter to her agent just because he was cool enough to rep her. Here's the meme:

1. What was I doing ten years ago? Hmm...1998, what was I doing? Ooh! I was in a PhD program (Victorian Lit), and was months away from deciding to quit and go to law school (that happened in August). I have to say that, while I still miss teaching a little, that was a great decision. So, yay, ten years ago me, for being about to make a good life decision!

2. What are five things on my to do list for today (in no particular order)? finish the laundry; write 2500 words on Electric Boogaloo; walk the dog; straighten up office; read GMAT manual (I'm in training to be a GMAT instructor).

3. What snacks do I enjoy? I'm of the salty persuasion, so any thing made from a potato or corn that is then fried/salted, count me in. I also like fruit, but not nearly as much as I like potato chips.

4. Things I would do if I were a billionaire. First thing would be to pay off all my debt (law school...sigh). Last year I got on a very detailed budget and have been focused on paying of debt. A billion dollars would put a big dent in the student loan. :) Adopt a BUNCH of greyhounds, and give my dogwalker a raise. Buy a second car. Remodel my house or buy a new house, but not a mansion, just a different house. I don't need a mansion, unless it's to house my dozens of new greyhounds. Invest in some of the artists and authors I've met at work. Endow a scholarship at my undergrad university and at my law school. I'm going to stop now, but really, the list is endless.

5. Places I have lived. Waukesha, Wisconsin. Portales, New Mexico. Kent, Ohio. Cleveland, Ohio.

6. Jobs I have had. Birthday Party Girl at McDonald's. Cater Waiter at a country club. English Teacher. "Big Firm" Lawyer.

7. Six people I want to know more about.
Mary C. Ryan
Joelle Anthony
Cinda Chima
Blake Nelson (who I don't know, but I want to know his answers anyway. Oh, and also I don't know Joelle Anthony either, but her blog is great. Isn't it strange how you can feel you know someone just from a blog when that person might not even know your name? Sorry, back to the list!).
...except that's all I've got! I need to meet more people on blogger. Or more people I know need to get blogs. Whichever.

Comments

Katie Alender said…
Greyhounds and artists! How elegant your billionaire life will be.

The McDonalds thing deserves its own post at some point!

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...