Skip to main content

The problem with women

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of lame female protagonists. By lame I mean that they don't do anything. They sit around and wait to be rescued. They whine, they moan, they complain, but they don't get up off their asses and make decisions about anything. They don't act - they are acted upon. (My undergraduate classes in feminist theory are snickering in the back of my head. "See," they're saying. "We told you!")

Look, if you're going to have a woman as a protagonist then I had better be able to understand her. This is not the same thing as "liking" her. I'm not a big fan of the "Your Main Character Has To Be Likable" school of thought. I think "likable" in that case is a stand-in for "relatable." I have to be able to relate to your female protagonist.*

One of the ways that a lot of writers do this is by making their female protagonists "kick-ass." This is cool. I like the Kick-Ass Heroine, especially in sci fi or fantasy. Big fan. Give me a woman who can shoot a gun or give a karate kick or fly a plane. Kick-Ass heroines are usually competent and professional women, smart and sassy, and Super Hot. These are all good things.

But these are not the only ways that a female character can be relatable.

Meg, for example, in Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time, is a smart and sarcastic girl, but she's not Kick-Ass. She's not strong, or powerful. She doesn't have any weapons. But she does have an undying love for her father, and she uses that to save both of them (and the whole world, hell, the universe) from It. This is how she's relatable - her prickly personality is a result of how she's been hurt by the absence of her father and her outsider status, even in her own family. We get her, so we're willing to forgive a little sniping.

Muriel Pritchett, in Anne Tyler's The Accidental Tourist, is an uneducated, bossy, sexually promiscuous, former teenage mother, but she's also resourceful and determined and connected to the people around her. By the end of the book, we don't want the protagonist to go back to his calm and reasonable wife, but to stay with prickly, loud Muriel. She's not a superhero, and she's not Super Hot, but she's fun. She lives.

Your character can be naughty or nice, sweet or mean, Little Mary Sunshine or a bitch on wheels. All women (or all women I know, anyway, which is admittedly not a representative sample) are all of those things from time to time. That's cool. But I don't want to spend time with someone who never has a mean thing to say about anyone, or who never does anything kind for another living soul UNLESS (and that's a big UNLESS), I understand why she's like that. Your characters don't have to be kind or Kick-Ass, but they do have to be relatable.

*NOTE: I think this is true of ALL protagonists, but I haven't seen a lot of problems in my reading with male protagonists being wusses lately. Obviously, depending on what you're reading, YMMV.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...