Skip to main content

Jay Hears a Song #2: Angel by Aerosmith

This afternoon while I was driving to pick up a pizza, I heard the song "Angel" by Aerosmith and had a little bit of a flashback. I was thirteen or so, no older than that, and I was in Palmyra, Wisconsin, visiting my friend Hope, who had moved away from our middle school the year before. It was January. She and I were on our way back to her house from a dance at her new school. One her friends, an older guy, maybe someone's older brother, was driving. He was someone's older brother, I think - I don't remember feeling any romantic vibes from him, ether towards me or Hope, although I could have been wrong. I wasn't always the best at picking up on those things. I don't remember his name.

Anyway, we're driving home from the dance. I'm in the backseat, sitting sideways with my feet up, tired in the good way that you get tired from dancing your ass off the whole night. I'm sleepy, and happy to be with Hope, who I had missed a lot after she went away, and glad and she and I are still friends. She and the driver are chatting. "Angel" comes on the radio. The song gets to the chorus, and suddenly the car is spinning, whirling around. Nothing out the windows makes sense, so I close my eyes and make a wish to the universe and then we are flying and then we have stopped.

"come and save me tonight!" Steven Tyler wails.

I open my eyes. "Is everyone okay?" the driver asks, and Hope and I say yes. He's not - there's a bone sticking out of the skin in his wrist - but there isn't much blood, so no one's going to die. We all tumble out of the car (is it a Camaro? I don't remember. It could have been. It's something like a Camaro, anyway, a sports car favored by guys like our driver, guys with rough hands and sleevelss t-shirts.) It's cold out, and there's snow on the ground, and we realize that we've soared over a shallow culvert, maybe thirty feet wide, and landed on the bank on the other side. The road seems impossibly high-up from where we are standing in our dancing clothes.

A car stops at the top of the hill. "Hey, are you okay?" some guy shouts. We're not.

I don't have clear memories of the rest, just bits and pieces. I don't remember, for example, how we got to hospital. I do recall calling my mom and her deciding to let me stay overnight at Hope's anyway. I remember the seatbelt bruises that showed up across Hope's ample chest the next day, and the black and blue mass that my arm became. (I had slammed sideways into Hope's seat. In a strange and ironic twist, her seatbelt saved her from flying through the window, and my lack of one saved me from breaking my neck.) I remember seeing Hope again (we got lost in the woods that day, a story for another time). I still don't remember the driver's name, but I remember his bone, pale and white in the moonlight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...