Skip to main content

The Way I Write

I write fast. I type and type until I'm tired of typing, and then I go back and look at what I read and find out if there's anything good in it. It's all perfect, of course, every time, with no needs for revision or changes, because I am super awesome. Duh.

See, that's the thing that I've learned - if I'm going to be a fast writer (and I am - writing carefully puts me right to sleep) then I'm going to have to spend a lot of time in re-reading and revision, because otherwise the story is going to turn out to be a hot mess. I'm not one of those people who can sit and think about every word put down on paper as it happens. I can't labor over a sentence for days. It's boring. It's a sentence. Subject, verb, maybe an object or or something and move on! I can't be spending all my damn time on a single sentence. Nothing would ever get done - I have a day job, people.

In truth, I probably spend just as much time in the aggregate worrying about word choice and sentence structure and form. But I just can't do it all at once. When I write, I enter this sort of fugue state, where I don't really know what I'm writing. I mean, I can see it, I can hear the words in my head, but I'm not judging them or fixing them or moving them around. I won't say something stupid about how "my muse is dictating to me" or whatever, but it is a different part of me from my standard rational mind.

This is how I've always written creatively, for as long as I can remember. There can be problems with it - I've written myself into a corner more than once. I've had to lose pages, even chapters, because I went down the wrong path and have to backtrack. I've had to lose whole characters, characters I've really loved. Whole storylines, in fact. It sucks. But it can also be fantastic, like when I do a reread and discover that I've set up something exciting, or had a brillant turn of phrase, or made something interesting happen. It's a little bit like magic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...