Skip to main content

My Dirty Little Secret

Okay, here's the thing, I have a degree in English, which means that I'm supposed to have all of the "high culture" tastes like Shakespeare and postmodernism and blah-de-blah-blah, and I do. Shakespeare's great, and postmodernism is fun, and, most of the time great literature is great for a reason, you know?

But it can't be Shakespeare all the time, and some of the time when I'm not reading Shakespeare, I'm watching disaster movies. I love them. All of them, even the really bad ones, like "When Weather Attacks" (aka "The Day After Tomorrow") and "The Core" (which is super crappy). "Volcano" and its superior but lesser known competitor "Dante's Peak." "Armageddon" and its inferior and lesser known competitor "Deep Impact." "Volcano," "Twister," "Avalanche." Classics like "The Towering Inferno" and "The Poseidon Adventure," and remakes of classics, like "Poseidon" (which was better than people say it is).

I can't explain why I enjoy these movies, since most of them are pretty lame and some of them are completely stupid (the aforementioned "When Weather Attacks," which I am watching RIGHT NOW, is one such super-lame one, although it is redeemed to a small degree by the presence of Jake Gyllenhaal. A very small degree, especially after the WOLVES attack. No, I'm not kidding.)

My favorite part of these movies is the first half hour to forty-five minutes, which I'm sure has an official movie name, but which I call the set-up. You know the part - where there's some brainy scientist, or engineer, or airplane pilot, or something, who figures out what's happening before anyone else does and has to explain it to people so that they realise that THE ENTIRE WORLD IS AT STAKE!!! A particularly fine example of this character is Anne Heche in the simply-named "Volcano." She plays a geologist, and although most of the stuff she says about volcanos and lava in the movie is so wrong a fifth grader would laugh, she's still surprisingly convincing as a scientist.

And I love when a new disaster movie comes out and real scientists find it necessary to make announcements about how "that's only a movie. Don't believe everything you see." In "Armageddon," for example, a bunch of miners are sent into space on two space shuttles to drill into the killer asteroid and blow it up with nuclear weapons. Okay, fine, willing suspension of disbelief, right? But because NASA was featured so prominently in the film, NASA felt it necessary to come out with a statement basically saying "Armageddon is a cool movie and all, but, um...we can't do that, just so you know." Which I suppose I appreciate, but made NASA look endearingly clueless. Yes, NASA, we know you can't fly to an asteroid and plant a nuclear bomb. It's okay.

I also love the requisite scenes of famous landmarks blowing up, made popular by the disaster/alien film "Independence Day," a cheestastic delight. In that movie, the White House and certain other landmarks, like the Statue of Liberty, get blown up by aliens in a very dramatic series of scenes. It was pretty cool, but I have to say that if I were an alien invader, I would not find it necessary to blow up the Statue of Liberty. It's a cool statue and all, but not really a strategic target, hmm? Anyway, since then, every disaster movie seems to have a bunch of landmarks blowing up, but since ID4 took the really good one (the White House) the rest of the movies are making due with others. "The Core" blows up the Coliseum in Rome, for example. And "When Weather Attacks" annihilates the HOLLYWOOD sign. And "Volcano" goes for most Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, which is famous and all, but really ain't White House level.

So why do I like these ultimately predictable and usually cheesy movies? I don't know. I could go with a "order-chaos-order" theory, along the lines of the theoretical underpinnings of horror movies, although disaster movies are very rarely actually scary or even suspenseful. Maybe it's just watching famous things blow up. Maybe it's Jake Gyllenhaal. Whatever it is, you can bet if a movie is made about a flood or a hurricane or a ship going down or a big building on fire, I'm totally there, maybe even on opening night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Jay Is Not On Vacation

Despite my absence from this blog, I am not dead and/or on a beach somewhere. I wish I were (on a beach, not dead), but I am not. I would sing a song about how busy I am with work (true), and how busy I am with teaching (also true), and how busy I am with working on the new projects (true dat), and how busy I am with life in general (double true), but the real reason why I haven't been posting here is because I've been querying. For some reason, querying has made me especially leery of posting here. I've seen posts from agent blogs that talk about how they don't want to know that the author they're considering representing has been rejected by everyone else in the world. Likewise, I don't think it's good form for me to post about the responses I've received when the agents haven't given me permission to do so, although some writers do it. I know I wouldn't want to see my query letter posted on someone's blog and commented on, although som...

Careful What You Wish For

I'm a lawyer at a company that employs a LOT of creative people, so it was no surprise to me that one of our employees writes novels. He writes "adult" novels (by which I means, books for adults, not dirty books), and he's got an agent and had a couple published, and gotten some good reviews, and rumor has it that they made a movie of one of his books a while back, although I can neither confirm or deny that rumor. And, according to friends of friends, he's unhappy. He doesn't like the way his writing career is going. He was hoping for more. I don't know what more, because that's not something that you can really ask someone, like--"hey, so describe the ways in which you're unhappy with your writing career"--but I imagine it's the typical writer stuff: fame, fortune, the respect of people of letters. But it's funny, because, um...he HAS the things I dream about. An agent. More than one book published. Books you can buy in, ...