Skip to main content

The Obligatory Introductory Post

Hi, I'm Jay. I know, you're thrilled, right? I'm 35, I live in Ohio, I'm a lawyer, and I write young adult novels.

Let's start with the first question: why do I write?

I don't know. I always have. My first book was finished at the age of four - a ten page novel, illustrated by moi, about the adventures of a pony named "Bittersweet" (named after the Crayola crayon. Do they still have that color anymore? If not, they should, because that was an awesome color, sort of caramelly and warm, just a great shade of brown, like the light brown M&Ms they used to have. Oh, jesus. Hi, I'm Jay. Welcome to my nostalgia trip.). Anyway, it was quite a hit among my older female relatives, if I do say so myself. Since then, I've written a lot of things - short stories, novels, fan fiction (no, I won't tell you what about) - but I haven't sold anything. Truthfully, I haven't tried. Until recently, I hadn't dedicated myself to writing, not in the way that one has to be dedicated in order to get things done and get them out there. But I've always loved writing, and this year I'm going to give it the chance to become more than fun.

So, then, Jay, why young adult novels?

Because I'm basically a 14 year old girl in my head. Is that reason enough? Because that's basically it. I don't have kids, I'm not married. My mortgage is really the only indication I have that I'm technically an adult. :) Being a teenager wasn't the best time of my life (thank god. I can't imagine the horror it would be to peak when I was 17), but it's such an intense and thrilling time, a time of such possibility, that young adult fiction really appeals to me. And I get teenagers in a way that I don't get adults. So young adult fiction it is. Besides my fan fiction (no, really, don't ask), all of my fiction has involved teenagers. I love them as characters. They're on the brink of something, and, depending on which way they lean, they could go either way.

Some other things you should know - I'll try to post regularly, but sometimes life is going to get in the way. Most of the stuff I talk about here is going to be about my writing, not my personal life. Oh, and, if you want to comment, you totally should. I may not respond to every comment, but I'll try to answer questions, if there are any.

So that's me. Who're you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...