Skip to main content

Workin' on it Wednesday #51 -- On Avoiding Things

Recently, several of the blogs that I've been reading have been talking about avoiding things. For example, Gretchen, over at The Happiness Project, wrote recently about her aversion to plotlines that involve unjust accusations. I don't share that aversion, but I've noticed that there are certain story lines that I don't appreciate and will avoid if a realize that a story is heading that way.

For example, I avoid movies in which an animal gets killed. I can read books where that happens, depending on the book and the purpose of the animal's death, but I have actually refused to see movies where I know the animal dies.* It's a soft spot that I have, and I won't subject myself to movies (or television shows) that are going to tearjerk me by killing an animal.**

And it's not exactly an aversion to a storyline, per se, but a character will lose me if he or she cheats on a spouse or significant other. It's not enough to make me avoid a whole book, but if I can't relate to a character who does such a thing, and it's almost impossible to get me back on that character's side. There's just something about that level of betrayal that makes me angry and unforgiving.***

Gretchen's post is also really interesting in terms of what other people object to. Pretty much every device used for creating conflict in a story is someone's pet peeve. There's no way to avoid this, as a writer, so I guess the only thing to do is hope that you haven't alienated everyone with your choice of plot.

~~~

* I Am Legend, for one. I saw the trailer for that movie and I knew immediately that the dog wasn't going to make it.

** True story: I saw Iron Man 2 this last weekend and in it, Mickey Roarke has a bird. He leaves it (for a variety of spoilery reasons) and asks someone to get it for him, but instead they bring him a different bird. That bothered me. What about the original bird? What happened to it? And then, after he bonds with the second bird, one of the bad guys takes it and puts it in a bag and we never see it again. That bothered me, too. What happened to that bird? Is it okay? We know what happened to the bad guy who put the bird in the bag, but the bird itself? No idea. It's not as bad as if the birds were actually killed in the movie, but it still bothered me.

*** People always assume that I feel that way because I was cheated on, but I actually never have been (at least, not that I'm aware of). I don't know where I get the distaste from, just that it will turn me against a character almost as fast as the character stepping on a kitten.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...