Skip to main content

Meme!

Nanowrimo Word Count: 9665

In lieu of an actual post during this, the Month of Insanity, I give you the ABCs of Me meme, stolen from Steph Bowe of Hey, Teenager of the Year.

Available or in a Relationship: Available. In theory. I don't even know you.
Best Friend: V, Queen of Customer Service.
Cake or Pie: A close one, but I'd have to say cake.
Drink of Choice: Coke Zero. If we're including alcohol, then a margarita is always a party in my mouth.
Essential Item For Every Day Use: Pen
Favorite Color: Blue
Google?: Hell yeah!
Hometown: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Indulgences: I'm ashamed to admit it because it sounds like a stereotype, but shoes. ::hangs head::
January or February: February. It's closer to spring.
Kids and Their Names: No, but if I had kids, I'm sure I would have named them at some point.
Life is Incomplete Without: you, dear. Or stories. Yeah, I'm gonna go with stories.
Marriage Date: Should you take a date to your wedding? I thought that was frowned upon.
Number of Siblings: One
Oranges or Apples: Oranges in winter, apples every other time.
Phobias and Fears: Centipedes and zombies. Probably in that order.
Quote of the Day: "When life gives you lemons, just say 'F$$k the lemons,' and bail."
Reason to Smile: currently? apple cider
Season: Spring
If you were to do your own TV show, what would it be?: high school drama, of course. Like Gossip Girl, only good.*
Unknown Fact About Me: I have a tattoo. No, not there.
Vegetable You Hate: Green Beans. I would say tomatoes, but apparently those are a fruit.
Worst Habit: I can overdo it on the sarcasm.
Ever had an X-Ray: of my knee. I kneeling on a sewing needle. It's still in there.
Your Favorite Food: Bacon
Zodiac: Aries

~~~

* What? It's too convoluted now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...