Skip to main content

Jay Hears A Song #6 - Late In The Evening by Paul Simon

I could have picked any one of a hundred songs by Paul Simon to write about; he is, without question, one of the best songwriters of his generation (or any other). Not only is he incredibly prolific, but he's also incredibly creative--while some songwriters end up sounding the same over the years,* Paul Simon always sounds like himself, but never sounds the same. His songs aren't brothers--they're cousins to each other.

So, I could have picked any one of them. "Graceland." "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover." "Bridge Over Troubled Water." "You Can Call Me Al."

You get the picture.

But right now I'm loving "Late In The Evening" best for primarily two reasons: (1) the samba beat, because seriously, what's better than a pop song with a samba beat? Name one thing (that's not a food). There's no way to listen to "Late In The Evening" without doing a little bounce in your chair. It's impossible, like putting on mascara without opening your mouth.**

The second reason I love "Late In The Evening" is because of the lyrics. Simon always has great lyrics--he's one of the few songwriters that has a great mix of lyrics and musicality. Where Elton John is good musically, but has someone else write his lyrics, and Paul McCartney without Lennon is often lyrically lame, Paul Simon combines the best of both worlds--his music is infectious, but his lyrics are what really make the songs stunning.

Here's the first verse from "Late In The Evening":

First thing I remember, I was lying in my bed;
I couldn't have been no more than one or two.
And I remember there's a radio coming from the room next door;
my mother laughed the way some ladies do.
Well, it's late in the evening, and the music's seeping through.
Now, I'm considerably younger than Paul Simon. And I grew up in Wisconsin, not New York City. And I'm not a musician in any sense of the world, unless you count high school choir, which I don't. But that verse is so natural, so perfect, that it feels like my own memory of childhood. On one hand, it paints a very specific picture, one that is not my life. And on the other hand, I remember lying in bed listening to the adults having a party downstairs, playing music, my mother laughing. I may not have been one or two, and I may not have been in New York, and I may not be Paul Simon, but this song is about me. It's specificity makes it universal.

[horn break]

Also, there's a horn break. I'm sorry, but that's just cool.

The rest of the verses paint images just as bright. They are not as universal, because I don't play guitar (or smoke marijuana--don't do drugs, kids!), but I can see them just as vividly as if I has been there, standing in the audience in that funky bar, watching Paul Simon play.

But then Simon pushes it even further, from his love of music to his love of a woman. All of the prior three verses are about how music shapes his memories, but the last verse is about how he loves this girl even more than he loves music, and because we already know how much he loves music, that comparison means something in the context of the song. It's more than just "ooh, I really love you a lot," it's a measuring stick by which the girl comes out ahead of everything. And that makes the song not only catchy and fun, but also moving. And a song that can move you is always a good song.

~~~

* I'm looking at you, Mr. McCartney.

** Gentlemen, ask your ladies.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm very pleased to see Mr. Simon make an appearance in your musical postings as I think he is a tremendously talented musician and songwriter. Although I knew of him growing up, the Mrs. really got me hooked on the Graceland album, which is actually better than everybody says and since everybody says it's really good, that means it is really great.

I'm partial to the lyrics in Slip Slidin' Away. Just beautiful when you're in the right mood.

You may not know this so I'll share a little story with you and hope that I remembered it correctly. Believe it or not, most people don't really understand what the song Graceland is about, they think it's about going to see the home of Elvis when, of course, it's actually about something else entirely. Now, I can understand some people not really getting it as most people don't think about lyrics too hard. But Willie Nelson was doing an album of cover songs and one of the producers told him he ought to sing Graceland on the album. Willie listened to it and just didn't get it. I think he called up Paul Simon and Paul explained to Willie what the song was really about and Willie fell in love with the song and used it on the album. I just find it amusing that even other artists don't often get the meaning of certain songs.

Popular posts from this blog

On Mary Sue

I recently read a Very Popular Book in a Very Popular Series, which I was going to talk about here until I read the second book in the series and realized--OH NO--that the main character of the book is a total Mary Sue. sigh. For those of you who didn't spend time in the fanfic world, a Mary Sue is a character who everyone else loves. She's a stand-in for the author (fanfic is written mostly by women, which is why "Mary Sue," although there are some Gary Stus out there as well).She's beautiful (but not too beautiful), she's funny, she's self-deprecating, she's smart, and all the other characters will fall head over heels in love with her and think she's awesome. (An example, if I wrote Friday Night Lights fanfiction, Mary Sue would move to town and become Riggins' girlfriend, and Jason Street would have a crush on her, and Lyla Garrity would like her and even Tyra would must us some grudging respect, and their lives would all be better for k...

Why Are The Characters Friends?

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books where the main character and her best friend don't get along. This is confusing to me. Why is the main character friends with someone she dislikes, or is afraid of, or actually hates? I get that it happens--I've seen Mean Girls . I've read Queen Bees and Wannabes . Heck, I'm old enough to have been the prime audience for Heathers . But in order for this fractured best friend relationship to be convincing, it has to be set up. In both Heathers and Mean Girls , there's a reason why the protagonist is friends with a bunch of b*tches--she chose to be. She knows that they're jerks. In fact, she can feel herself becoming a jerk right along with them. It's part of the character arc, the point of the story, that being friends with these girls is not who she really is. But the relationships I've been seeing lately don't make that kind of sense. The protagonist doesn't have a reason to be friends with...

Meme!

That I stole from Sarah Miller : The instructions: Look at the list and (1) Bold those you have read. (2) Italicize those you intend to read. (3) Underline the books you LOVE. 1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien 3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (made it to book four, and bailed.) 5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee 6. The Bible 7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte 8. 1984 - George Orwell 9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott 12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller 14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (most of them, anyway. The comedies make my eyes gloss over, though). 15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier 16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien 17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 19. The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 20. Middlemarch - George Eliot 21. ...